Monday, July 8, 2019

Little Kingdom

.



Here's something extremely cool. Greer Gilman and Marianne Porter will be doing a reading of Greer's play Little Kingdom this Friday on the Terrace at the Boston Marriott Quincy. The hotel is, by a confluence of events, the same one where Readercon will be taking place. But this is not a Readercon event. It is an independent theatrical piece.

There will be no admission charge, and it should be noted that the location is contingent upon its being available. If it's not, an alternate locale will be found.

I'm really, really, really looking forward to this one. Having read the play, I can promise you that it's very Greer Gilman. 'Nuff said.


And that reminds me . . .

Here's my Readercon schedule. No reading, alas. I believe Readercon subscribes to the theory that has overtaken fandom that readings should be no longer than half an hour. I tried that a couple of times and it was just too painful. So Homie don't play that.

Autographs: Tananarive Due, Michael Swanwick
Sat 1:00 PM, Autograph Table

Food at the Corner of Fiction and Community
Andrea Martinez Corbin (mod), N.S. Dolkart, Greer Gilman, Michael Swanwick, Sabrina Vourvoulias
Sat 9:00 PM, Salon A

Food plays a central role in many cultures and accordingly takes center stage in the work of many speculative fiction writers. How does cuisine help define, or build, a community? How can food be used to communicate important information about a people to the reader? What are some particularly noteworthy examples of the way food can be used to set, or subvert, expectations?


And from the rapidly dwindling Image Book series . . .




Caption: Quickly! Pack for the journey! The journey is life. Who knows where you will wind up? In the meanwhile, you are traveling.

So much of my life has been like that.

I have seen many terrible things and lost many people dear to me during that journey. Life is serious business. It's not for wusses. There should be a sign posted by the womb-door reading: HEROES ONLY.

I was thinking of that observation when I wrote the Guardian of the Gate scene in The Iron Dragon's Mother.


Above: For those who came in late, as a way of drawing attention to my newly-published novel, I've been serializing the Image Book I put together as a way of helping me to visualize Faerie and its inhabitants. There aren't a lot left to go.



*

No comments: