Saturday, July 6, 2019

Carnival Masks

.




The text reads: In Carnival, all the masks come off

Annotated: Since Cat has the stone, the only mask that matters is her own

And: The lips of carnival masks are cruel, deliberately so

To one side of the collage it reads: The Empty Woman

And below it: all surface

At this point, I was working up the Plague Carnival chapter of the novel. I obviously hadn't started writing it, though, because I hadn't come up with the name yet. The masks turned out to be an important element of the carnival, as foreseen.

The Empty Woman did not make it into the novel. There are no empty women in The Iron Dragon's Mother, though there are some men who are pretty darn shallow.

Above: For those who came in late, as a way of drawing attention to my newly-published novel, I've been serializing the Image Book I put together as a way of helping me to visualize Faerie and its inhabitants. There are about two weeks' worth of images yet to go.

*

No comments: