Thursday, May 21, 2009

And at the Risk of Being Boring . . .

.
. . . there's yet MORE good news for me!  I'm up for the Sturgeon Award!

Here's the short-list:


"The Gambler", Paolo Bacigalupi (
Fast Forward 2)
"The Political Prisoner", Charles Coleman Finlay (
F&SF 8/08) 
"True Names", Cory Doctorow & Benjamin Rosenbaum (
Fast Forward 2)
"The Ray Gun: A Love Story", James Alan Gardner (
Asimov's 2/08) 
"Memory Dog", Kathleen Ann Goonan (
Asimov's 4-5/08)
"The Tear", Ian McDonald (
Galactic Empires)
"Special Economics", Maureen McHugh (
The Del Rey Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy)
"His Master's Voice", Hanu Rajaniemi (
Interzone #218) 
"From Babel's Fall'n Glory We Fled", Michael Swanwick (
Asimov's 2/08). 

Kij Johnson's "26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss" (
Asimov's, 7/08) was also a finalist.  But because Johnson was a juror, she removed it from consideration.  Which was a classy thing to do.  Particularly since "26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss" is widely held to be a front-runner for the Hugo.  Which it's also been nominated for.

So . . . my hat's off to the lady with ethical standards.  And congratulations to all the other nominees.

*

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I haven't read most of these, but I will say that while Monkeys was stylistically wonderful in that passive, floating, pomo way that is fashionable, Babel had much more substance (in that OMG what's going to happen to these intriguing characters in this amazing setting way).

Of the two, you'd get my vote.

David Stone said...

This post reminds me that I've got to finish up and get the hell out of grad school so I can actually enjoy reading again.