Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Does Anybody Here Speak Spanish?

.
Surely somebody reading this is fluent in Spanish.  

I'm updating and revising and expanding my essay, "Hope-in-the-Mist" for book publication, and I need to know what the title for the Spanish translation of Hope Mirrlees's Lud-in-the-Mist translates as in English.  

The title is Entrebrumas.  

If you can help, my humble thanks.  Also, my genial envy.  I cannot imagine how beautiful Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books must be in the original.

*

6 comments:

Salva said...

Entre brumas is "inside mist", or "surround by mist". I prefer the first one [the second might be "entre la bruma", in spanish mist can be singular (bruma) or plural (brumas) whitout any change in the meaning].

And yes, GGM books are beautiful :D! but in turn I'm unable to read Moby Dick in english!

Laurel Lyon said...

Yep, "in mist". I wonder what happened to Lud?

Romero Interfaith Center said...

I agree with the "inside mist" translation...the image that comes to mind hearing the word is of standing inside a thick, swirling mass of mist...completely enveloped in it....It's actually a lovely word I must say.

Michael Swanwick said...

Gracias, everyone "Inside mist" it is.

Translation is a complex and subtle thing and doubtless the translator had a good reason for dropping the Lud. The German title Flucht ins Feenland was necessitated by the fact that Lud-in-the-Mist literally translates as Lud-in-the-Manure. Scout's honor.

Michael Swanwick said...

Oops. I forgot to translate the German. It means "Flight into Fairyland."

severian said...

My two cents, too late as always: "Amidst the mist", although the alliteration makes it sound a little forced.