Monday, January 31, 2011

Scribbledehobbledehoyden: The Magpie's Eye: Page 18

.


A Bizarro cartoon.  I think and hope this is fair use, since I'm not using it to pump up my readership.  I was just struck by the beauty of the rendering.  A similar cartoon without those extraordinary color values wouldn't have been pasted into the notebook.

We fell down.  All of us.  There was no reason we should not, and so we did.
Our vision went black.  Sounds swam in our ears.  There was a very strange smell which we could not account for.  Our skin crawled.  We felt distinctly clammy.
We died.
By all possible standards, the world should have come to an end.
But it did not.  The meadows swam in the breeze.  The smell of buses [longed?] after them.  And the glow of my young wife lit up the world, the world, the world!

I have no memory of this whatsoever.  But I can tell it was written extempore.  I simply wrote the first sentence and forced myself to keep on writing, searching for an end, a meaning, a point, and all the while aware that it would all have to wrap up at the bottom of the page.

Marianne and I have been married for thirty years now, plus small change.  She still lights up the world.

*

No comments: