Monday, July 15, 2024

E-Book Sale! In the Drift! Thursday Only!

 .


 

As happens often enough Open Road Media is placing my first novel, In the Drift on sale for one day only. That's $1.99 on this Thursday, July 18, 2024 in the US only.


And if you're curious about the title . . .


The novel is set in the aftermath of a full meltdown at Three Mile Island. Most of Pennsylvanis is uninhabitable, Philadelphia is ruled by Mummers, and the uninhabitable area is known as the Drift. Because it's where radioactive isotopes have drifted and fallen to earth. When I was writing it, the book was titled The Drift. It was bought for Terry Carr's Ace Specials line and promptly re-titled In the Drift.


When I asked why the change, I was told that my title sounded like a horror title, like The Fog et al. Fair enough. I didn't much like the title but, not having a better alternative to offer, I went with it.


(Background info: The book was a fix-up of three sequential novellas with connective material. The first novella was titled "Mummer Kiss.")


Time passed. The novel sold to France. I got a copy of the translation. They had re-titled it Baiser du Masque. I got out my French dictionary to see what that meant.


And it meant Mummer Kiss. The perfect title was staring me in the face all along.


Smek.


* 

No comments: