Friday, January 29, 2016

David Hartwell's Three Rules for Traveling Overseas

.
I'm back from three days traveling, up to Massachusetts and back, for David Hartwell's memorial service.

I am not going to write about the service. there was a good-sized crowd of mourners. The family was there. Speeches were made. Emotions were sincere.

Instead, I'm going to pass on what Geoffrey Hartwell said was his father's advice when he traveled overseas for the first time. It is, I believe, useful. So here it is:

1. Never stand when you can sit.

2. Never sit when you can lie down.

3. Eat a salad every day.

This is what we call Good Advice. If you take it, you'll be helping to keep a good man's memory alive.


*

5 comments:

Eileen Gunn said...

I wish I could have been there. I grew up near Marshfield, and David and I both swam as teenagers in the icy waters off Hummarock beach. Not that we knew one another, but we bonded on the mere memory of that water, which could turn your toes blue on the hottest day of August.

Michael Swanwick said...

Oh, that reminds me, Eileen. I spoke with Teresa Nielsen Hayden after the funeral, and she has plans for you.

Peter D. Tillman said...

Reposted this at KC's Facebook page. Sorry I never got to meet him.

Paula Johanson said...

So glad people were there for those of us who could not attend the funeral.

Michael Swanwick said...

There was quite a good turnout, Paula. So that was good.