Tuesday, October 2, 2012

.




From Ghoulies and Ghosties, Long-Leggitie Beasties . . .
(Part 8)
 
Kenny found himself staring into the ivory face of an impossibly lean man.    

(Continued tomorrow.)



And deeper we go . . .

Now the cast off characters is complete.

You can find all of the story serialized to date here.


And if you're wondering why it took me so long to post today . . .

Last night I attended SFWA's annual publishers and editors event, known informally as the Mill 'n' Swill, in New York City.  The biggest source of benign gossip was Stanley Schmidt's recent retirement as editor of Analog.  All of it was greatly to his credit, but I will only pass along one item:  Stan had been planning to retire for some time and had hoped to quit a month before he matched John W. Campbell's longevity as editor.  He had to wait for his house to sell, however, which took so long that he ended up breaking Campbell's record.  I talked with several long-time Analog writers who, though they had confidence in the new regime, all mourned his loss.

Pictured above is Trevor Quachri (center), the new managing editor for Analog.  Legendary Philadelphia writer Tom Purdom (also pictured, laughing) and I chatted with him briefly.  Tom asked if his appointment had come as a surprise.  "I'd be lying if I said I didn't have hopes," he replied.  "But I really hadn't thought my chances were that good."

"Do you find that people are a lot more friendly to you tonight than they were at the event a year ago?" I asked.

"I'm sure that' s a coincidence," he said.

*

No comments: