Thursday, October 17, 2019

The North Wind Speaks (part 17)

.


As good as found

And today's diagram . . .


This diagram covers the Death watch chapter. Read for top down, Cat interacts with Fata Narcisse, G (Grimalka), and Queenie. All three relationships come together at Fata Narcisse's death. Spun off to the side are notes to myself not to forget: Claustrophobia and There must be a sense of  many servants.

The sunlike symbol after the death represents transcendence, accompanied by collapse of glamour and revenge. Following which, Cat will escape via Greyhound. 

Thoughts spun off by the diagram include: (hatred of the Fey) "I like her personally, but I hate her kind." and a list of Servants by Profession, including cooks, waiters, janitors, window washers, florists, yard workers. There are many more, of course, but that's a start. Also: Half the compound was given over to servants who kept it running (& those areas the gentry were not encouraged to enter.)

Most importantly, off to the left-hand side, I wrote (desire for a sister) and an arrow leading to (desire for an heir). At this point, I knew Fata Narcisse's intentions and could begin writing the chapter.

Interestingly enough, it was only when drawing this diagram that I realized how much of the novel was about Caitlin's search for a sister. And yet, it was in there from almost the beginning. 


And . . .

I came home from vacation and immediately took off to New England to teach a couple of classes at the University of Connecticut. I got home last night, and now I'm packing to go to Disclave. So... as always, I'm on the road again.

If you see me at the con, be sure to say hi.


*

No comments: