Monday, July 9, 2012

Upcoming Public Appearances

.


Normally when I'm working on a novel I like to just hole up and type -- and right now I'm working on two novels.  So it's unusual for me to have two public appearances  coming up in the next fortnight.

The closer appearance is this weekend at Readercon in Burlington, MA.  Here's my schedule:


Friday July 13

5:00 PM    F    The Books Readers Don't See. Christopher Brown (leader), Barry B. Longyear, Anil Menon, Michael Swanwick. This is about non-English-language science fiction & fantasy, basically.

6:00 PM    RI    A Story from Scratch, Part I. Elizabeth Bear, Kyle Cassidy, Lee Moyer, Michael Swanwick. This is one of Kyle's odd projects.  Using models from the audience and "props provided by celebrity guests," Bear & I will create a story that will be photographed by Kyle.  Lee will create a cover.  The final work will be read on Sunday and an e-version of the book made available for download.  For some reason, the schedule says, "business casual attire recommended."  But those who are familiar with Kyle's or my or Lee's or Bear's work will probably dress up somewhat better than that.

8:00 PM    E    Autographs. Kit Reed, Michael Swanwick.

9:00 PM    RI    Readercon Classic Fiction Book Club: The Palm-Wine Drinkard. Michael Cisco, Sarah Smith, John H. Stevens, Michael Swanwick (leader), Jeff VanderMeer.
Amos Tutuola was a genius.  All literate people should know that.

Saturday July 14

11:00 AM    RI    A Story from Scratch, Part II.

1:00 PM    NH    Reading. Michael Swanwick. 

3:00 PM    ME    A Story from Scratch, Part III.

Sunday July 15

12:00 PM    ME    A Story from Scratch, Part IV. 
I believe this is the public reading part.


Then I appear at:

The Wise Owl Bookstore
624 Penn Avenue
West Reading, PA

July 18
6 p.m.

I haven't been to the Wise Owl yet, but apparently these events are (forgive me) a hoot.  The website notes that "The event will begin at 5pm with music from Gary M. Celima, an open mic with area authors follows and then Swanwick will take the stage."

So if I were you, I'd show up at five.

Most importantly, this event is free of charge.  You're not going to get a better deal than that.

*

2 comments:

Ken Houghton said...

"For some reason, the schedule says, 'business casual attire recommended.' But those who are familiar with Kyle's or my or Lee's or Bear's work will probably dress up somewhat better than that."

Is this one of those cases as with Blue Man Group, where people sitting in the front row will be able to sit under a tarp?

HANNAH'S DAD said...

It peeves me that I'm on the wrong continent for Readercon. Their program always looks good.

Amos Tutuola for the win.