Saturday, July 21, 2012

Two Rogues

.


Do you recognize these two men?  You should.  That's Howard Waldrop to the left and, behind him, Andy Duncan.  They don't look very trustworthy, do they?  I'm thinking they'd make a great pair of Depression-era Dust-Bowl grifters.  If I didn't already have a buddy team of con men going, I'd start this story in a heartbeat.

So should you trust them?  With your life, your money, and your sacred honor, you betcha!  But their stories?  No.  These guys tell terrible whoppers.  Isaak Walton and John Bunyan fishing in the Slough of Despond?   Flannery O'Conner's chicken?  Cut me some slack!

Nice guys, though.

*

3 comments:

Gregory.Frost said...

I wouldn't turn my back on either of them, although I've turned plenty of pages because of them. I blame the sentences.

Michael Swanwick said...

They should both receive stiff sentences.

Anonymous said...

Sinister looking grifters indeed. Almost as untrustworthy as some tall guy in a fez and a bearded reprobate seen in a recent photo. Very good to see HW up and about; a sense a new collection in the offing.