Thursday, June 21, 2012

In Which I Bask in Unearned Reflected Glory

.



When I was young and mad for fiction and spent half my free time in libraries, it never occurred to me to remember exactly who had written the books I loved. It was only much later that I realized that (smek!) I could have used this information to find more good books.   Similarly, as an adult it has taken me decades of being published to realize that I really should bother to remember the names of the people who make my work look good.

So I'm taking a big chance here by drawing attention to artists who have illustrated things I've written.  It's quite possible I've overlooked people to whom I owe a lot simply because I never bothered to register their names.  And if so, I apologize.

Nevertheless, I cannot help but feel an undeserved pleasure at the fact that at least four people who have illustrated my work are currently up for Chesley Awards.

They are:

Omar Rayyan, who did the cover for Being Gardner Dozois, and is up for Best Color Work:  Unpublished.

Stephan Martiniere, who did the cover for The Dragons of Babel, and is up for Best Cover Illustration: Hardback.

Lee Moyer, who did the covers for A Geography of Unknown Lands and The Best of Michael Swanwick and is up for Best Cover Illustration: Magazine, Best Cover Illustration: Hardback, and Best Product Illustration.

and Julie Dillon, who is up for for Best Interior Illustration for the above artwork illustrating my own story, "The Dala Horse."  

My congratulations to all the nominees, but particularly those listed above.  I hope you felt my work was worthy of your efforts.  Please don't tell me if you didn't.

You can read the entire slate (and click through to see each category's works) here.


And a bit that may or may not make it into the second Darger & Surplus novel . . .

"Murder is the last act a gentleman should commit," Surplus said.  "But you'll note that it is on the list."


Above;  Dillon's illo for "The Dala Horse."  Those who have been following this blog may remember how happy I was when I first saw it.

*

No comments: