Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Higgs Boson (Sort Of) Explained


When I was young, I followed physics closely.  Even when it got extremely weird, I was there on the sidelines cheering it on.  But then by slow degrees it became unmoored from physical consequence.  Branes, dimensions folded in upon themselves, string theory -- famously derided as being "not even wrong" -- and the like were inherently neither provable nor falsifiable.  By their very nature, we were never going to know for sure.  So I let my level of interest downgrade to "casual."

The CERN Super Hadron Collider, however, is Old School in that it involves actual experimental data.  So I was happy to find a short animation explaining the Higgs boson in words so simple that I can follow them.

Mind you, this is not the Higgs boson as physicists themselves know it.  But it's nice to have a glimmer.

You can view the video here.

And as always . . .

I'm on the road again!  Just a day trip to NYC this time.  I'll let you know all about it tomorrow.



Eileen Gunn said...

Neat! Find any Higgs bosons in New York?

Michael Swanwick said...

I'll post the answer to that Monday, Eileen. Keep watching the skies!