Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Decoding Facebook

.


Those who've been reading this blog for some time may remember how Gardner Dozois kept bugging me to get onto Facebook

"What's it good for?" I asked him.

"It's not good for anything."

"Well what do people post on it?"

"What they had for breakfast, usually."

"Gee, Gardner," I said, "you make it sound awfully attractive.  But I think I'll give it a pass."

However, Kyle Cassidy convinced me to create an account by pointing out that if I didn't, somebody else might create one in my name and then post abhorrent material as if he were me.  "Sold!" I cried, and started posting the occasional comment, photo, or link.  To moderate response.

This wasn't good enough for Gardner however.  Every time I saw him he urged me to start posting photos of my breakfast.  Once the man gets a notion into his head, there's no shifting it!  So, finally, I obliged.  With a photograph.  Of my breakfast.

And was flooded with comments.  Everybody had an opinion.  Friends I didn't realize I had friended popped up to express their admiration of my breakfast.  Both Janis Ian and David Hartwell felt compelled to post commentary on the subject.

I don't understand new media at all.


And I'm still on the road . . .

But I'll be home soon.  And when I am, I'll tell you what happens when you make the mistake of asking for "a gin martini, dry, straight up, with a twist" in western Pennsylvania.

Above:   There it is, the distinguished thing.  My breakfast. A basket of fresh-baked biscuits brushed with orange juice and sprinkled with yellow sugar, black coffee, a crock of butter, and small jars of homemade figs-in-port and tomato jam.

*

2 comments:

Frank Böhmert said...

Well okay that's Facebook. But what about Twitter now! Isn't the networld entitled to know how you chomp down every bite of your breakfast, too?

Victoria Janssen said...

LOL!!!

Just don't put salt in your coffee instead of sugar.