Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Last Days of Old Night

 .



I'm in e-print again! "The Last Days of Old Night" is up in the December issue of Clarkesworld. This is a story I started looking for a little over two years ago, when I stood on the black sands of Reynisfjara on the southern coast of Iceland and stared out at the basalt sea stacks and wished I knew more about the legend behind them.

Here's how the story begins:

Through chaos and old night, the three brothers journeyed. Sometimes they rode and sometimes they strode. When they rode, their steeds snorted cold steam from their nostrils and obsidian hooves struck sparks from the rock. When they strode, their feet sank in the earth to their ankles. The sky was lit only by witch fires. Sometimes there were moons or flotillas of comets. Not tonight. Like all things, the sky and road changed at whim. In all the world, only the brothers could dictate what those changes would be.

That was simply how things were.

I would be lying if I pretended I was not pleased by how the story came out.

You can find my story here. Or just go to clarkesworldmagazine.com and just wander around.


And I should mention that . . .

I want to thank the Icelandic science fiction community for their warmth and hospitality. I had a great time at Icecon and I hope there will be many more in the coming years.


And a quick reminder . . .

The e-book of Jack Faust goes on sale tomorrow and that of Vacuum Flowers  on Saturday. Both $1.99 and both One Day Only.


Above: Image swiped from Extreme Iceland (extremeiceland.is), which offers guided tours and travel packages.

*

No comments: