Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chopped, Shopped, and Gorgeous


I'm still on the road.  Specifically, I'm outside of Pittsburgh, where chopping hills in half and using the rubble to create new hills is a matter of civic pride.  Seriously, I can't think of anywhere in the world that has retained a smaller percentage of its original topography.

As witness the photo above of the parking lot of I forget exactly which mall, nestled into the artfully-chopped landscape of Washington, PA.  America is still a beautiful land.  But it's not the kind of beauty our ancestors would recognize.

And speaking of writing workshops . . .

I'm going to be online-lecturing at the StarShipSofa Online Writers Workshop.  This is the first of what is apparently going to be a semi-annual series.  Other lecturers include James Patrick Kelly, Sheila Williams, David Mercurio Rivera, and my good friend and sometime Aubrey Darger impersonator Gregory Frost, who suggested I participate in the first place.  Greg's judgment on such matters is sound, so I'm going to give it my best.

Here, clipped from the announcement, are the very basics:

StarShipSofa Online Writers Workshop

(Saturday 12th March 5pm to 7pm UK)
Pacific Time         09:00am
Mountain Time     10:00am
Central Time        11:00am
Eastern Time       12:00noon

What will be covered in the first workshop:
  • The Beginning – Gregory Frost
  • Plot Tricks From The Dark Side – James Patrick Kelly
  • How To Fix Your Story After Its Written and You Discover It Doesn’t Work – Michael Swanwick
  • Why Writing Groups – Mercurio D. Rivera
  • What An Editor Wants – Sheila Williams
  • Q&A – All

You can read about it in more detail here.


No comments: