Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chopped, Shopped, and Gorgeous

.
 


I'm still on the road.  Specifically, I'm outside of Pittsburgh, where chopping hills in half and using the rubble to create new hills is a matter of civic pride.  Seriously, I can't think of anywhere in the world that has retained a smaller percentage of its original topography.

As witness the photo above of the parking lot of I forget exactly which mall, nestled into the artfully-chopped landscape of Washington, PA.  America is still a beautiful land.  But it's not the kind of beauty our ancestors would recognize.


And speaking of writing workshops . . .

I'm going to be online-lecturing at the StarShipSofa Online Writers Workshop.  This is the first of what is apparently going to be a semi-annual series.  Other lecturers include James Patrick Kelly, Sheila Williams, David Mercurio Rivera, and my good friend and sometime Aubrey Darger impersonator Gregory Frost, who suggested I participate in the first place.  Greg's judgment on such matters is sound, so I'm going to give it my best.

Here, clipped from the announcement, are the very basics:

StarShipSofa Online Writers Workshop

(Saturday 12th March 5pm to 7pm UK)
Pacific Time         09:00am
Mountain Time     10:00am
Central Time        11:00am
Eastern Time       12:00noon

What will be covered in the first workshop:
  • The Beginning – Gregory Frost
  • Plot Tricks From The Dark Side – James Patrick Kelly
  • How To Fix Your Story After Its Written and You Discover It Doesn’t Work – Michael Swanwick
  • Why Writing Groups – Mercurio D. Rivera
  • What An Editor Wants – Sheila Williams
  • Q&A – All

You can read about it in more detail here.

*

No comments: