Thursday, June 13, 2019

In Which I Have Books Which You Do Not

.


Look what came in the mail!  Mirabile dictu, my copies arrived before publication date--the first time this has ever happened to  me.

In celebration of which, let me share with you the acknowledgements page. This is a strange paraliterary form that has blossomed in recent decades to such a decree that they're routinely mocked online for their pretentiousness. But I enjoy reading them, just to get a sense of some of what goes into a novel, and it's possible that one or two others present here might as well.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

I am grateful to the (alas) late Lucius Shepard for giving me permission to quote from “The Scalehunter’s Beautiful Daughter.” To Byron Tetrick for flight protocols. To Tom Purdom for the culture of military life. To Anatoly Belilovsky for the nomenclature of Russian megalizards. To Bill Gibson for once again providing a character with the wristwatch juste. To Marcin Pągowski for help with the Polish language. To Kevin Bolz for help with Breton naming. To Ellen Kushner for Satie’s Gnossiennes. To Barbara Frost for the banker’s calculator. To my son Sean for Faerie realpolitik and for choreographing the dragon-fight. To Barbara Weitbrecht for marine creatures. To Tom Doyle for supplying the motto of the Dragon Corps and to Mario Rups for Latinate grammatical antecedents. To Janis Ian for permission to quote from “Jesse.” To the late and sorely missed Gardner Dozois for teaching me how to write in the first place. And to the M. C. Porter Endowment for the Arts for life, love, and everything else.


And speaking of the Image Book . . .




Okay, yes, this is kinda creepy. But let's be honest here. While there's not a lot of overt sex happening in the novel, there's ton of it crawling around under the surface.

Both pages are collages, both mine.



Above: For those who came in late, my latest novel, The Iron Dragon's Mother, will be published in 12 days. To draw attention to this fact, I'm serializing the Image Book I made to help me imagine a strange world for the book.


*

No comments: