Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Ray Harryhausen

.



I drove three hundred miles on Monday, then another three hundred miles yesterday.  Today, I have another two hundred miles to drive.  So this is going to be brief.

Special-effects wizard Ray Harryhausen died the other day at the age of 92.  I doubt there's anyone here who doesn't know who he was.

Harryhausen spent his entire life playing with toys and made a good living doing so.  He lived long enough to see his accomplishment not only recognized but celebrated.  That's extraordinary.

Now he's gone and all around the world people are mourning his passing.  Not bad, eh?


And now . . .

Into the car with me!  See ya Friday.

*

3 comments:

HANNAH'S DAD said...

I saw him speak in Melbourne not that many years ago - they had a screening of one of his films (Sindbad? - swordfighting skeletons anyway) and ha gave a talk before it. I felt privileged to see him.

Unknown said...

I was so thrilled to have met the man at a Philcon (late eighties, I believe )

Not only did he sign a book for me, but we were able to just hang for a good twenty minutes - two artists talking shop.

While he will be missed, Ray left behind quite a legacy - and that ain't half bad.

Michael Swanwick said...

For a brief moment, Wayne, I was envious. But ... "Two artists, talking shop" ... You made be better use of his time than I could have.