Friday, August 19, 2016

The Van and I

..


In 1976, I painted a dragon on the side of a panel truck and ten or so friends and I piled in and drove to MidAmeriCon.  We had a blast. Now I'm at MidAmeriCon II and for my guest of honor display the committee found a period van to stand in for it. There I am, up above, beside it.

I refuse to say, "What a long, strange trip it's been."

Meanwhile, I've already done the morning Stroll With the Stars event. Here's the rest of today's schedule:

11:00 a.m.
Kansas City Convention Center Autographing Space
Autographing 

2:00 p.m.
Room 2210
Short Fiction of the 1980s
With Gordon Van Gelder, John Kessel, Ellen Datlow, Jo Walton. And if that lineup doesn't sell it for you, nothing will.

5:00 p.m.
Room 2207
Coode Street Podcast
Jonathan Strahan & Gary Wolfe moderators. Kij Johnson & I discuss the craft behind James Tiptree Jr.'s "The Women Men Don't See."

7:00 p.m.
Hard Fantasy -- Does It Exist?
Preston Grassmann, Seastien de Castell, Laurel Anne Hill, Courtney Schafer & I settle the question once and for all.

And there's more to come tomorrow! Sometime after I get home, I'll do an annotation of the items on display in the van.

*

No comments: