Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Me, Interviewed

.


I've been interviewed by R. K. Troughton over at the Amazing Stories website.   The interview includes my explanation of how I came to create Darger and Surplus, why I decided to write science fiction, thumbnail sketches of Gardner Dozois, William Gibson, and Gene Wolfe, my plans for the Mongolian Wizard stories, how I plan to spend my old age, and much more.

Here's a snippet, from my discussion of the (rather dreadful) first story I ever wrote, something titled "The Theoretical Man":

One amusing bit of trivia about that first story is that it contained the line, “The sky was a cathode-tube grey.” As a result, though I greatly admire everything else William Gibson has ever published, I was never very impressed by the famous first line of Neuromancer, “The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.” It sounded too much like something I’d written.

You can read the interview here.  Or just go to the Amazing Stories site here and poke around.  There's lots of good stuff there, including a  recent interview with Michael Moorcock that makes me feel like a slacker.


Above:  That's me.  With a koala.  Author photos are pretty dreary things, really.  But there's a koala for you to look at, so that's okay.


*

2 comments:

Lars said...

You seem to make a point of having your photo taken with para-bears.
What's next, a tardigrade?
And when are we going to see the one of you with the panda?

Michael Swanwick said...

I'm pretty sure I posted that picture here. But next time I find an excuse to use it, I'll see if I can hunt it up.