Saturday, March 9, 2024

Nevermore: An Interview With The Raven--On Sale Today!

.

 


 

Good news! Dragonstairs Press's latest chapbook comes out today.

 

Here's the official word from Marianne Porter:

 

Nevermore: an Interview with the Raven is Michael Swanwick's historical chat with that great actor and literary hero, collaborator with Edgar Allan Poe, Charles Dickens, and so many others.  Yes, that Raven.

Nevermore was created to mark Swanwick's kaffeklatch at 2024 Boskone.  Printed in an edition of 40, of which 28 are offered for sale, at Dragonstairs.com, on Saturday March 9, 2024, at noon, eastern (Philadelphia) time.  5 ½ x 4 ¼ inches.  Hand-stitched, numbered, and signed by the author.

 

To  which I will only add that it's expected to sell out fast. 


And because I know you're curious . . .

 

Here's a brief excerpt:


Swanwick:  How did you come to meet Edgar Allan Poe?


Raven: Through the usual literary circuit. I was doing some work for Chuck Dickens, modeling for Grip, the raven in Barnaby Rudge. Ed thought my part was (and I quote) "intensely amusing." He also thought it a shame that I had been relegated to the status of a minor character. He felt that my "Croaking might have been prophetically heard in the course of the drama." Quote, unquote. Well, what actor could possibly object to a review like that?


So when Poe contacted my agent, I was all agog for the part he offered me. A title role? From the hottest, most au courant writer of the times? C'mon. Who could turn that down? Not me.

 

*

No comments: