Thursday, January 13, 2022

Introducing . . . Dune!

 .


 

Look what came in the mail today! It's the new Centipede Press edition of Frank Herbert's magnum opus Dune.

This is one beautiful book. Boxed, generously illustrated by Mark Molnar, with an afterword by the author's son, Brian Herbert, (even the inside of the slip cover is illustrated!) and more decorative elements than I have the technical terminology to list. And it sold out pretty much the instant it went on sale. 

I have the good fortune to own a copy because I wrote the introduction. That's a big deal for me because Dune was one of my formative books. I can remember staring at it in a grocery store spinner rack (ask your grandmother), trying to decide whether to spend 95 cents on it. That was a lot of money when I was 17!  Almost enough to buy three regular SF paperbacks. On the other hand, it looked like it might be something special.

So I splurged. And I have never regretted that decision.

 



Above, Top: Book, box, and interior of dusk jacket. Above, Bottom: Fold-out map. Pretty nifty, eh?


*

1 comment:

bruce said...

Congratulations on being the one anointed to write the introduction, Michael! My copy with the John Schoenherr cover cost an astounding $1.50. It lurks yet in my office.

I wasn't going to read the next three books since I'd been assured that they wouldn't be as outstanding as 'Dune'. Then a friend heard me declaim that nonsense, scoffed and said, 'As if, many books are, kizlode!' He was right. I loved the next five novels and wish he'd lived to finish 'Sandworms of Dune'.