Friday, September 18, 2015

Ask Unca Mike

.



Science fiction and fantasy writers are a group are extraordinarily generous with advice to new writers. A moment's thought, however, reveals that this is just encouraging talented young people to occupy the publishing niches and win the awards that would otherwise go to to us Old Hands. Ask Unca Mike is an attempt to rectify this deplorable situation.


The Collected Wisdom of Unca Mike

Dear Unca Mike,
I can't seem to get an editor of an SF magazine to publish me. I've read a lot of your advice, but I'm sure I must have missed some of it along the way or I would be published by now. Will it all ever be collected into an e-book or, even, a paperback? 

                                               Sincerely,
                                               "Thank you for submitting, but..."  

What a great idea! Unfortunately, all my time is taken up writing for publication. But this is exactly the kind of lateral thinking I encourage unpublished writers to engage upon: When a respectable editor won't touch your stuff with a stick, consider e-publication. By considering somebody else's e-publication, you've kicked things up to the next level. My sincerest compliments.


If you have a question for Unca Mike you can post it below. Or write to AskUncaMike ("at" sign) gmail.com. I'll respond tho those I have the best answers for.

Ask Unca Mike appears here on Fridays.

*

No comments: